Office of Senator Al Franken
Job Description for Special Assistant
The Special Assistant helps to staff the front desk and ensures visitors are greeted, the phone is always answered and constituent requests are given to the appropriate staff member. This position helps shape the first impression of the office for constituents and influences the overall tone of the office. This person also assists the Deputy State Director/State Scheduler in coordinating the Senator’s schedule and traveling with the Senator as needed. This role also occasionally assists the communications team on special projects, as assigned. This position reports directly to the Deputy State Director/State Operations Director and the Deputy State Director/State Scheduler
- Coordinates coverage of the front desk with the other Staff Assistant
- Ensures that the telephone calls are answered and handled properly
- Greets and screens visitors with a professional and positive tone, ensuring our office portrays a welcoming atmosphere
- Assists persons who have appointments with the Senator or the staff
- Responds to constituent requests for flags, tours and other information
- Ensures that requests for assistance and casework are directed to the appropriate staff member in a timely manner
- Documents constituent opinions, including full name, address, and all relevant information
- Responsible for constituent service casework data entry for constituent service team.
- Helps to sort and distribute incoming mail to appropriate staff member
- Takes photographs of the Senator with groups and follows up with e-mailing or printing photos, as requested
- Occasionally interacts with media outlets on behalf of the office
- Responsible for the maintenance and staff scheduling of official vehicle
- Assists with briefing materials for the Senator
- Drives the Senator to meetings, the airport and other appointments
- Accompanies the Senator to most appointments, keeping the Senator on schedule
- Delivers and picks up materials for the Senator in the Twin Cities area
- Assists the State Scheduler to maintain the Senator’s daily schedule and travel
- Various projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree, with strong academic credentials
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Temperament to communicate with a variety of personalities in a tactful, pleasant, and professional manner.
- Strong public relations skills and the ability to interact diplomatically and professionally with the news media, public and staff
- Ability to handle all confidential documents and projects
- Strong computer, Internet and research skills
- Ability to quickly learn and become proficient with internal office computer systems (VOICE, Sharepoint, Outlook)
- Ability to work effectively and calmly in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment with daily deadlines.
- Regular attendance at office to allow rapid response to scheduling issues
- Must possess valid driver’s license and have a good driving record
- Travel as necessary for performance of duties
- Ability to manage multiple and shifting priorities.
- At least 1 to 2 years of professional experience working for an elected official.
- Thorough knowledge of legislative process and of Senate organization and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of local, state and federal agencies and departments.